Featured Post

Table of Contents

Click the on "Table of Contents" link above to navigate the thoughts of KLK. - Click on links below to access whole threads or...

Saturday, May 14, 2016

Put Your Ideas to the Test - #13 – A Personal Example

          I thought it might be useful to give a personal example regarding something I regard as a “personal miracle.”  We have been discussing the possibility of conducting an experiment to see if God is there[1].  We’ve defined a specific question to guide our experiment.  Last time we talked about one possible experimental design <here>.  But it is probably helpful to have some examples.  At least, for me, I always find examples very helpful.  Vague theories never cut it for me.

          OK.  So I’m going to relay a personal story.  It is from my own personal experience and it is true.  But, since you probably don’t know me, you have no way of knowing whether it is true or not.  Even if you do know me, you weren’t there to witness it, so all you can do is judge whether I’m likely to tell the truth or not.  The point of telling you this story is not to try to get you to believe that it is true.  I can’t really do anything about that.  The point of telling you this story is to motivate you to become open to possibly having your own experience with God.  I’m just telling you one example of how I experienced an act of God in my own life, hoping it helps.

          Many people are influenced by what happens to others – I believe that’s pretty normal.  But a skeptic has a hard time accepting anything without seeing it with their own eyes.  I understand that.  All I want is for the skeptic to open their eyes so that they can “see with their own eyes!”

          When it comes to “miracles”, there are certainly “degrees” of miracles.  For example, there are frequently people who get healed from sickness and claim it was a miracle.  But people recover from sickness all the time, so such events are easy to chalk up to chance.  But as the events become more unlikely, there becomes a point where the skeptic has to change tactics.  Instead of chance, he has to resort to “it never happened.”  For example, some far out miracle, like Jesus rising from the dead, is never chalked up to chance.  Instead, people spend their time trying to show that it didn’t happen. 

          OK.  So what I’m talking about are personal events that fit into the second category.  They are so unlikely that you can’t chalk them up to chance.  But, if you are the one experiencing it, then you can’t say “it never happened”.  That is the category of events that I call a “personal miracle.”  By “personal miracle”, I mean an event that only I am really able to judge how much of a miracle it is.  It is one of a few such “personal miracles” in my life, but it is the easiest to explain, so here it goes…

From as far back as I can remember, I’ve always been very interested in devices and machines and things like that.  As a kid, I would take apart anything I could find to see how it worked.  Sometime in the early 70’s, when I was in 6th or 7th grade, I had a small electric motor that I was taking apart.  It had two small permanent magnets inside of it.  Magnets always fascinated me.  The fact that these hunks of metal could pull things together and push things apart seemed quite magical.  I thought they were the way to solve a lot of the world’s problems!  As I was taking them out, one of them popped out and fell on the floor.  I looked down and I couldn’t see it.  I got down where I could look closer and I still couldn’t find it.  I was very unhappy that I couldn’t find the magnet because I was so excited to have these magnets to play with.  I got down on my hands and knees and crawled all around under the desk and chair, looking for the magnet.    I looked everywhere under my desk.  But I just couldn’t find it.  It didn’t make any sense – it had to be there – it couldn’t just disappear.  So finally – I don’t know why – while I was down there on my hands and knees, I folded my hands and closed my eyes and prayed to God and asked God to help me find the magnet.  “God please help me find this magnet.”  I don’t know how strong my faith was, but I certainly didn’t have a deep understanding of God or what he did or anything like that, but I did think that if there was anyone who could help me find it, it was God.  And I also knew that I couldn’t find the magnet – it wasn’t anywhere to be seen.  It seemed to have disappeared as far as I was concerned.  So I prayed.  When I was done praying, I opened my eyes, and the magnet was right there in front of my nose.  Six inches away!  Right where it would have been impossible to miss.  To this day, as far as I know, that magnet wasn’t there when I started to pray, but it was there when I was done praying.  I don’t have any other explanation for it.

As I’ve grown older and thought back on that event, I’ve tried to come up with some logical explanation for it.  For example, most kids are pretty bad at searching for things, so couldn’t it just be a case of bad searching technique?  However, I’ve always been pretty thorough at searching for things – even at that age – so that doesn’t seem very likely at all.  I also wondered if maybe it was just dark under the desk and my eyes slowly became accustomed to the dark, allowing me to finally see the magnet.  But I’d already been searching for some time down there, so my eyes were already accommodated to the darkness.  Despite my thinking about this for the past 40-some years, I haven’t figured out any other explanation that fits the facts.

That event comes to my mind every once in a while and I still remember finding that magnet as if it happened yesterday.  That event was an important turning point in my early travels to faith in Christ (but it was not the only one).  As I would think about deep concepts and struggle in my mind about ideas like whether God exists, whether the Bible was true, etc., I would sometimes think back to that event and say to myself “if there is no God, then how did that happen?”  Even now I wonder, what else could be the explanation?  I know it sounds like an odd story – almost corny – but that’s what happened.

Again, the point is not to get you to believe this really happened.  I don’t think God did that to help you believe – He did it to help me believe.  You need your own experience!  But before you can experience anything like that, you have to unlock the door.  Many of you would never “pray to God” about anything.  To you, it’s childish.  I think you’re missing out.  Many of you have decided, a priori, that there is nothing supernatural.  If you had been in the situation I just described, you might have momentarily closed your eyes (without praying) and then opened them again to find a magnet in front of you.  You would have chalked it up to bad lighting or bad searching technique and never thought about it again.  I can’t fault you for that type of thinking.  But what I can fault you for is then saying “…and besides, if there was a God, He would make Himself obvious.”  You can’t have it both ways.  Either unlock the door and allow for the possibility of God; or admit that you’ve decided a priori that there is no God and no amount of evidence can change your mind.  Just don’t claim that latter view is based on science and don’t claim you are “open-minded”!




[1] Note:  this is part of a long thread.  To go to the beginning of this thread, *click here*.  You'll have to scroll down to the bottom - they are in reverse order and I haven't ever figured out how to change that - sorry!

No comments:

Post a Comment