Featured Post

Table of Contents

Click the on "Table of Contents" link above to navigate the thoughts of KLK. - Click on links below to access whole threads or...

Saturday, May 29, 2021

Free Will #13 - Real Creativity

             In this entry, I want to bring up a very interesting aspect of the "free will debate" that I don't hear talked about much, if at all, and that is:  "creativity."  I believe that human beings are capable of creative acts that are in the category of "willed events" and are "uncaused" [see discussion here].  Thus, creativity is truly a "new creation" in the universe.  It is "something from nothing."  I know if may seem crazy to think of human creativity that way, but I hope to show why I say that and how such a thing can be reasonable, even if you don't accept the idea yourself.

             First, by creativity I mean things like new ideas, inventions, works of art, music, new written works, even philosophy sometimes.  Maybe even this blog entry!  I am not thinking of any special definitions when I talk about creativity.  I think most people would define creativity this way.  I personally would limit creative acts to humans and to God, in the same way I think willed events are only something humans and God have access to [see here].  Also, as with the concept of free will, I think true creativity is a rare thing for each person.  I think we can train ourselves to become more creative, but I think that true, "never before seen", ideas are generally rare events in our lives.  Given that, I think a lot of things we consider "creative" ideas are actually ideas that just follow from previous ideas - they are "caused events."  I think uncaused events are rare, and so I think creative uncaused events are rare.  Exactly where the line is between a new uncaused creative act and a caused creative act is not obvious to me.  Even uncaused events can have a significant component of "influence" from previous events.  But a true creative act has some component in it that is uncaused and totally new and comes "out of the blue."  We use terms like that:  "out of the blue", "it just came to me", "an 'aha' moment", "a light bulb went off", "I just had an inspiration", etc.  I think these refer to the creative uncaused cause.  Again:  not always.  But at least some of time.

             Human beings are creative.  They come up with new ideas, new concepts, new ways of thinking, etc.  In my job as a researcher, I feel that creativity is crucial.  We move forward as a society by coming up with creative solutions to the problems that we face.  But creativity is everywhere – in art, in music, in literature, in medicine, in technology – and its everywhere because it is a fundamental characteristic of human beings.  I believe it is one of the things that makes us uniquely human.  I will not argue here as to whether other animals ever think creatively – that may be a topic for some future entry – although I can tell you with great certainty:  I have looked deep into the eyes of many, many cows and there is no creativity in there whatsoever!  Look for grass.  Eat grass.  Chew grass.  Chew grass.  Chew grass…Nope:  cows live in a totally causal world!

             Thus, I say that human beings are "creators".  Whether we evolved from rocks or not, our ideas are not simply evolutions of previous concepts.  They are not the inevitable reactions of neurons to more and more inputs…they are new thoughts.  At least, that is how it feels to us.  When we have an “aha” moment, it does not feel to us that it was inevitable.  In my opinion, that feeling is not an illusion.  I think it is true creativity.  I know I am in the minority with this view, but I don't think you should reject the concept out of hand.  Think about the possibility.  At the very least, recognize how exciting it would be if it were true.  To think that you, as a mere human being, might have the capability of a true creative act - that is very exciting!

             I will introduce two major criticisms or concerns that come along with the idea of creativity as an uncaused cause in the paragraphs that follow.  But first I want to put forward this point:  if creativity is not uncaused, then creativity as we commonly think of it does not exist.  If creativity is a caused event, then it is just the inevitable conclusion of a line of previous actions and basically it is like completing a math problem.  It would be like saying that "I just had an inspiration:  when you add two to two you get four."  That's not creativity as we know it (although the fundamental concept of addition probably was a creative act, in my opinion).  If Picasso's Starry Night or Beethoven's Fifth Symphony are just the result of a series of previous caused events, then you can't really call them creative acts. 

             You might be tempted to claim that creativity is a random event.  But, if that is the case, then we would just call Picasso and Beethoven "lucky" for their creative acts.  That would still not be "creative" as we generally define it.  If true creativity really does exist, then it must be an uncaused cause in order to meet our generally accepted definition of the concept.

             OK.  Now on to two major criticisms of true creativity.  I will briefly introduce them in this entry, but I'll have to deal with them in more depth in the future.  These are:  1) violation of the laws of physics, and 2) violation of the omniscience of God.

             First, the problem of true creativity violating the laws of physics.  Actually, I think anything in the category of an uncaused event is in danger of violating the laws of physics.  I've heard people claim that if things like free will and true creativity existed, they would heat up the universe to oblivion.  To be honest, I'm not quite sure I understand the line of thinking there.  I can see, though, that creativity would seem to violate entropy laws if "order" can be created without the expenditure of energy.  I don't really know that the laws of physics can be applied to ideas.  Can information be transmitted faster than the speed of light?  In the future, I will explore this in more detail, but for now I will just say that the concept of randomness seems to hold the key to addressing this issue.  Specifically, you can't really tell the difference between a random event and an uncaused, or willed, event as an outside observer.  Maybe I should say that you probably can't tell the difference.  In both cases, you can't predict the event when given the current state and all the inputs.  I tried to start introducing this idea with what I called "Turing Numbers", but I'm not sure the point of that came across.  But this whole concept will have to be addressed in a future entry.

             Second is a problem that only some of you care about:  if humans can create something that never existed before, does that mean God didn't create it?  Are human beings adding to God's creation?  Is God surprised by our new creation?  Does he exclaim "wow - I didn't expect that!"?  I admit that, at first glance, the idea that we could create something that never existed before seems to violate certain characteristics attributed to God, such as omniscience.  To address this issue, I think we should look at the "multiple paths" idea that you find in quantum physics.  Further, the idea that God can create something that can create something else does not, in my opinion, violate any commonly-held views regarding the attributes of God.  I think that true creativity, like free will, is actually critical to Christian belief.  But, for the moment, I just want to acknowledge that it could be a concern and that many people may be uncomfortable with the concept of true creativity because of it.

             I believe these two issues are addressable.  Maybe there are other issues that people will bring up.  But, as I have stated regarding free will, it is hard for me to feel the logic in rejecting something that is obviously observable on a daily basis just because it is hard to explain.  When I think up a new idea, I experience it as new - as an act of creation.  An idea now exists that has never existed before.  Scientists create.  Artists create.  Musicians create.  Writers create.  Human beings create.  I see it everywhere and I personally experience it every day.  I can't reject the obvious because of the subtle. 

             True creation is almost defined by being a willed event.  For example, when is something art?  I think something is art when there is a creative intention behind it.  It has to have some component of being a willed event.  I have looked at an item others call art, and all I see are random scribbles or random splashes of paint.  Is that art?  In my opinion, if it really was random, then it is not art.  What makes it art is the intention of the artist and, sometimes, the ascribed intention by the viewer of the art.  Thus, the creative act of art is a willed event, not a random event and not a caused event.

             OK, there is obviously much more to this topic that we will have to explore in the future.  But I really encourage you to think about this concept of creativity.  Is creativity deeper than free will?  I think it might be.  Free will is certainly deeper than consciousness.  A lot of philosophers and scientists talk about the "hard problem of consciousness" because it seems beyond our current knowledge of physical laws to resolve how consciousness exists inside of a material brain.  But consciousness is simple compared to free will.  Free will is diamond to "the hard problem of consciousness's" talc!  So what does that make creativity?  True creativity is beyond reason.  In fact, in my view, it is better than reason.  Reason can only explain what exists, whereas creativity can create what is new.  As humans we can express both reason and creativity.  We shouldn't use one to destroy the other.

No comments:

Post a Comment