Featured Post

Table of Contents

Click the on "Table of Contents" link above to navigate the thoughts of KLK. - Click on links below to access whole threads or...

Sunday, July 7, 2019

Top Five Worst Inventions (or Ideas) Still in Use (Part I)


            I know that there are plenty of lists of the “Ten Worst Inventions” or “Top 100 Bad Ideas” – lists that include New Coke, the Edsel, the motorized surfboard or the machine gun that shoots around a corner.  But those are all obviously flawed and never became popular.  And then there are lists of ideas that were very popular at one time and now you wonder why they seemed like such good ideas – like pet rocks or eight-track tapes (fade out – click – fade in…who thought that was an acceptable idea??).  As much fun as those lists are, I’m not intending here to duplicate those lists.  I’m taking a different approach.  I want to consider ideas that are still very much in use today and, as far as I can tell, probably will still be used in the foreseeable future.
            First, a few caveats and rules.  This list will, necessarily, be U.S.-centric, although I believe some of these are used world-wide.  Most of these inventions/ideas have been around for a long time.  But the key point is that they are still in use and still accepted as if they were good ideas today!  Actually, I think the #1 item on my list is going to become a thing of the past, but the others seem fairly well-entrenched in our society.  But, in my opinion, they should all go.  And we would all be better off for it!
            Given the basic topic, I had to make some additional requirements – otherwise the list becomes kind of boring.  First, I left out all inventions related to war.  One could certainly make the argument that the atomic bomb was the worst invention of all time – at least on some level.  Or that gunpowder was a bad idea.  If you think war is fundamentally bad, then these would certainly be bad ideas, despite the fact that they have other positive uses.  But if you kept war inventions on the list, then that would be the whole list and it would hardly be interesting.  Second, I left medicines off the list.  Medicines of course can be great, but can also have awful side-effects.  Chemotherapy, for example, would probably be on the list of “worst inventions” even though it saves lives.  Opiates would also be on that list.  Further, I didn’t include anything related to tobacco or alcohol.  I think the point with many of those items is that even the inventors of those things recognized that they had both positives and negatives (like chemotherapy).  So…none of those things are on the list. 
            Of course, this is my list so I picked the things I think are the worst.  You may disagree with me on some of these and some of them may not annoy you as much as they annoy me.  So…you should make your own list!  Maybe someday we can get rid of these and replace them with better ideas.

Worst Idea #5:  Speed Bumps
            Speed bumps are a bad idea.  I’m talking about those lumps of asphalt placed in parking lots or sometimes on streets that are jarring to your car.  They are placed there so that people don’t drive too fast.  To me they are extremely annoying.  They are uncomfortable to drive over and they surely are not good for your car.  They have no redeeming qualities.
            What makes this a bad idea?  Well, they are designed to solve the problem of people driving too fast in certain places.  Apparently, signs saying “slow down” or “speed limit 10 miles per hour” don’t work.  Having police or someone monitor the location is just too expensive.  But a speed bump hardly seems like a good solution.  I imagine some meeting somewhere where this was first discussed.  “I have an idea:  let’s destroy the road so badly that people can’t drive fast over the road or it will destroy their car.”  Seriously?  That’s the best idea anyone could think up???  A speed bump is like creating an intentional chuck-hole in the road, and then maintaining it so that it stays as a chuck-hole. 
            This has one of the key features of bad ideas that you will see as a theme in this list:  it punishes everyone equally when only a few people are really being targeted.  Not everyone speeds along in a parking lot.  In fact, most people proceed slowly because they don’t want to get into an accident.  Yes, there are a few crazy people.  But punishing everyone seems like a bad idea.  In fact, it makes me wonder:  if fear of messing up their car in a parking lot fender-bender doesn’t cause people to go slower, then why would creating a bunch of chuck-holes make people go slower?  Do speed bumps even work?  Yet they are everywhere.  Bad idea.


Worst Idea #4:  English System of Measurement
            I’m not talking here about the original invention of the foot, yard, mile, pound, etc.  Those original ideas are fundamental and important.  But I’m considering the continued, stubborn use of the English System to be the #4 worst idea.  The metric system is just better.  No one would pick the English System in a blind taste test.  But we, in the U.S., keep drinking the English System coolaid even though it tastes bad and is more expensive.  How can that not be one of the worst ideas ever?
            But really, what’s so bad about keeping both systems around, as we do in the U.S.?  Well…many, many, many, many things.  First, it hinders communication.  When other people across the world use the metric system, we are unfamiliar with what they are referring to.  I know that language barriers are difficult (which, by the way, probably should have been on my list), but why should we throw in something so basic as units of measure?  Second, trying to maintain two units, switching back and forth, creates opportunity for mistakes…like the Hubble!  That was one expensive missed unit conversion.  Third, the English System is more difficult to learn…and we make our kids learn both.  In fact, we make them learn how to convert units from one system into another.  Fourth, it is an extra expense for the average consumer.  For example, I have an English and a metric socket set.  And those costs are hidden in other products – mechanics, for example, have to have two full sets of tools, and that expense gets passed on to the consumer. 
            I know there are major problems with converting to the metric system.  I remember some big push in the mid-70s when I was told we were going to switch en masse – as a nation – to the metric system on some day (or at least that’s how my kid-mind translated it).  Highway speed limit signs were changed to km/h.  Radio stations started giving the temperature in Celsius.  It was weird.  People tried changing their idioms…”a kilogram of flesh” or “walk a kilometer in their shoes.”  Whatever that was (I guess that was the Metric Act in the 70’s – I don’t know exactly – I was a clueless teenager at that time), it was a dismal failure.  The fact that car speedometers have km/h as well as mph dates back to that time I think.  In fact, as I recall, cars around that time had the km/h as the large numbers and mph as the small numbers.  Well… that didn’t work!
            The biggest difficulty with conversion to the metric system, though, is the manufacturing base.  The fundamental components of manufacturing systems are based on the English system.  It’s not just that the milling machine bit is one quarter inch in diameter with a one quarter inch shaft. It comes down to issues such as milling machines being built on drive screws with English units (hundredths of an inch).  Every scale on the machine is in hundredths of an inch.  Converting such a machine, if it is even possible, is very expensive.  And it comes down to the manufacture of basic building materials.  Houses are made with 2X4 studs and half inch plywood sheets.  All totally based on English units.  And those sizes don’t convert to any reasonable round number metric units.  To change all of that infrastructure is an incredible expense.  The more you think about how the basic units of measure affect every aspect of your lives, the more you realize what a daunting task it is to convert the entire country’s infrastructure to a metric-based system.
            I don’t know if we will ever change.  I think each successive generation is more well-versed in the metric system, so maybe that will influence us over time.  Personally, I will know we’ve made the fundamental change when I go to the lumberyard and have to buy 45X90s instead of 2X4s and when plywood comes only in logical metric thicknesses (10mm, 25mm).  Then I know we will have made the leap and left this bad idea.  And guess what?  Even though I know it’s a bad idea to stick with the English system, I will not be happy!  I will still have a workshop full of tools and bits and jigs and fixtures that are all designed around English units.  Instead of being able to pass them on to my kids, they’ll probably just end up as scrap metal.  Melted down, I suppose, and turned into metric tools!


Worst Idea #3:  Keys and Passwords

            Yes, I know that this is an unusual entry and probably not on most people’s lists of bad inventions.  What's wrong with keys?  Keys can be very creative.  Coupled with locks, it’s actually quite an impressive technology in and of itself.  However, my contention is that, though keys are extremely creative, the whole need for keys (and locks) is based on a fundamentally flawed foundation.  
           
            Why do we need keys and locks and passwords?  For example, I have some kind of electronic key for my minivan (that apparently would cost me hundreds of dollars to replace if I lost it – how is that an improvement?).  I have to have it to start my car.  Why?  Why do I personally have to have a key?  Why do I have to lock the doors whenever I get out?  Why?  There’s only one reason:  to keep someone else from stealing my car. 

            To me that is the fundamental flaw:  keys solve the wrong problem.  The better solution would have been to change simple human behavior!

            Let’s go back to some ancient time in human history when keys and locks were first invented.  I have no idea when that was, but let’s just say they were invented by the Egyptians some five thousand years ago.  Some Pharaoh experienced the problem that people were taking food from his storehouses and he decided this had to stop.  He sat with his wise council and heard them come up with two major options.  On the one hand, one wise counselor suggested that they could put a hidden stick through a hidden hole and lock the door to the storeroom.  Only the Pharaoh, who would be told where the hidden lock was, would know that you needed to remove the stick in order to get in.  The second wise counselor had a totally different idea.  He suggested that they train people not to steal!  Everyone laughed when this wise counselor brought up his idea.  As you might guess, the first counselor was promoted to the position of Royal Locksmith and was famous for the rest of his life.  And his hidden stick trick lasted about two days until someone figured out where the stick was hidden.  Then that wise counselor came up with a new version of his lock, and that took the thieves a couple of months to figure our…and the cold war between owner and thief was on.  And continues to this day.  Owners make more complicated locks and keys.  Thieves figure them out.  Everything has to be locked up to keep it safe.  A key for your house.  A key for your car.  A key for your office.  A combination for your safe.  A combination for your bicycle lock.  A key code to get into your bank account.  …a password to get into your computer…and another password…and another password…and an encryption service…and so on it goes.  The battle between owners and thieves is never-ending and unwinnable.  Just think about how much time and money is spent making sure our “stuff” is locked up!  There are whole industries built around this constantly escalating cold war.

            And so we put up with keys and carrying around keys.  We have key card access which then gets accidentally revoked or gets messed up or the card gets lost. I think it would be interesting to know how much productivity is lost across the world by the need for security options.  And don’t get me started on passwords!  How many do you have?  I have hundreds and there is no chance that I can memorize them.  So, I have to take the time to look them up just to get into my own accounts.  In fact I have a password to get into this blog!  Why?  So that you don’t break in and write some blog for me?  Is that a problem?  OK – I asked you not to get me started on passwords.

            Here’s how ridiculous we have gotten with this whole thing.  A few years ago I had my car stolen while I was at work.  When I called my insurance company, one of the first questions they asked me was “was the car locked?”  I assured them that the car was locked.  Later I found out that if my car hadn’t been locked, my insurance would have denied my claim.  Denied my claim?  Don’t you see how messed up that thinking is?  The thieves have won!  Their behavior is considered so normal that if I fail to lock up my own car, it’s my fault it got stolen.  Is that right?

            Well, I say we should stop laughing at the second wise counselor and just consider it for a moment.  Why do we tolerate stealing?  Everyone agrees it is wrong.  My wife and I have raised five kids.  I've had five different two-year olds, and, guess what?  You teach them not to steal!  You don't just say “Oh well, that's part of human behavior. Go ahead and take things.  We’ll just lock up everything we don’t want you to have.”  Yes, I know - we put locks on cabinets so the toddlers can't get into them and we put covers over electrical outlets.  But that’s because they are toddlers and they haven’t learned yet.  But they also aren't going to be deep thinkers in terms of lock-picking ability.  These are simple “locks” for a brief period of time.  But when they get older we don’t just escalate the “cabinet-lock cold war” and start installing a deadbolt on every cabinet so that our five-year old can’t get in.  No.  We teach them not to steal and we don’t tolerate stealing.

            So why is it that when it comes to adults we have to have all sorts of fancy contrivances to try to keep rational human beings from stealing our stuff?  To me it seems to be an incredible failure of human ingenuity.  We can train two-year-olds, but we can’t train adults???  To borrow a common phrase…”We can get someone to the moon and back alive but we can't figure out how to stop someone from taking things that are not their own?”  Doesn’t that seem odd to you?  It does to me.

            The point is, maybe if the Pharaoh had taken the second counselor’s advice, and we’d been working on how to modify human behavior for the past 5000 years, maybe we’d be better off!

            Of course I know that fixing human nature would rival the invention of writing as the greatest ever.  However, to me it's a sad indictment on our complete inability to modify human behavior.  But, then, I also believe that human beings are fundamentally flawed – unable to live up to even their own personal standards – but that that’s a whole different topic for another time. 

            Because the owner-thief cold war is unwinnable and going to continue for forever, I’m making keys and passwords my 3rd worst idea – only because it is a very costly solution to a common problem. Of all the things on my list, this one is the one I'm certain is going to persist throughout all of human history.


1 comment: