Featured Post

Table of Contents

Click the on "Table of Contents" link above to navigate the thoughts of KLK. - Click on links below to access whole threads or...

Saturday, April 23, 2022

A Theory of Soul Consistent with Scripture and Neuroscience - Part 8: Noodles and Thorns

 [See here for introductory comments.]

             We've now introduced the basic components of the soul that comprise my theory of the soul (see:  input, output, processing), but there is one more general point I want to make before we dive into some specific applications of the theory, and I'm going to make this point by way of an analogy.  I want to make use of this analogy in future entries, so I want to present it now before we proceed any further.

             The purpose of this analogy is to provide an intuitive sense of the characteristics of the connection between the output component of the soul (will/self/agent of the soul - see here) and the physical brain.  The analogy is this:  imagine a jockey on a horse, where the horse represents our physical body (especially the brain) and the jockey represents our soul (especially the will)[1].  That's hardly much of an analogy, since jockeys are just humans with wills and horses are living, fully physical beings with physical brains.  It's kind of circular, I know.  But the key point of the analogy is this:  the jockey has soft spaghetti noodle for reins and, further, the reins have handles covered in razor sharp thorns.

             I know this analogy seems odd and almost goofy, but this is just meant to be a tool for conceptualizing the link between the spiritual and the physical.  Humor me for a moment and let me pull some thoughts out and see if this analogy is a useful tool for you.  First, note that the horse can go on its merry way without waiting for the jockey to do anything.  In the same way, our physical brain can function without the will.  This was the point of "A Dog's Life."  Second, note that the control the jockey has over the horse is via a tenuous, weak connection that I've illustrated as wet noodles.  The horse can overpower the jockey at any time.  It is a constant struggle for the jockey to exert control over the horse because of the condition of the reins.  It is not impossible, just difficult.  It is possible, with patient training, for the jockey to train the horse to respond to the wimpy reins, but it is always a tenuous situation.  There are frequent failures in which the horse goes off on its own and ignores the jockey.

             At least for me, this helps to understand the perplexing human condition that free will presents us with.  As I have stated elsewhere, I am convinced that humans have free will <here for example>.  I believe we can make decisions (we "could do otherwise") and we can be held responsible for our decisions.  But there is also this very odd thing that we all experience:  we don't always do what we "want" to do.  We make mistakes that we claim are "out of character".  We say things that we instantly regret.  We look back on our life and say "I should have made a better decision" in any number of situations.  We know we could have made a better decision.  We wanted to make a better decision.  But we didn't!  What kind of free will is that?  Well, I would submit to you that it is free will implemented via wet noodles!  We absolutely can make correct moral and ethical decisions, it's just really hard for us.

             This part of the analogy is also meant to illustrate the "slow response" and "training" aspects of our free will.  The noodles exert a wimpy influence, and therefore significant training is required to get the horse to respond to the reins.  Good luck if the jockey suddenly decides he wants to pull the horse up short.  It won't work.  Instead, the jockey has to anticipate the need of stopping and spend considerable time training the horse to respond to the wimpy pull of the reins and obediently come to a halt.  This has to be done in advance.  It's difficult to do, but possible with patient training.  The point is this:  when we are faced with a sudden major important moral decision, our actions are influenced by our past training and not so much by our soul's immediate influence at that moment.  Let's say I am suddenly faced with the time-limited opportunity where a "little white lie" will gain me $1000.  My "horsey self" will surely go for that - why not?  My "jockey self" must pull back on the reins if I am to do the right thing and speak the truth.  But if I have not already "decided", in the past, that I want to be a "truth-teller" and have, therefore, trained myself to refrain from lying, then my "jockey self" will have no chance to stop my "horsey self" and I will lie and get the money.  Later I might say "I shouldn't have done that."  That is the enigma of the human moral experience.  Our free will is a wonderful, powerful force implemented through a weak, wimpy, and decidedly un-wonderful pair of reins.  We humans are a conundrum in that way.

             The third component of the analogy is the sharp thorns on the handles.  I know that reins don't always have handles, but these do.  And the problem is that when the jockey uses them, it hurts.  The harder the jockey has to pull, the more it hurts.  There is a personal "cost" to pulling on the reins and trying to control the horse.  Thus, from the jockey's perspective, there is always a bias towards just letting the horse run free.  At every turn, every change in speed, every jump, the jockey has to decide "do I really need to try to change course, or can I just let it go?"  It hurts to control the horse, so the jockey only exerts control when necessary.

             What's the point of this part of the analogy?  I'm trying to use this to illustrate the fact that we generally pick and choose when to exert our true free will.  I have stated elsewhere that free will is primarily exerted in important moral decisions [here].  I don't believe it has to be that way.  I don't believe our free will is limited to only a few moral decisions.  We could decide to stand up right now.  We could decide to turn left instead of right.  But, in general, we don't exercise our free will in those situations because they are not worth the cost.  The jockey evaluates the importance of each choice and decides that squeezing yet again against the thorns is not necessary.  I'm not saying we don't make a decision in those cases.  Instead, I'm saying that the jockey lets the horse go where it will.  How does the horse decide?  Like any other physical, material system:  decisions are based on the inputs, past history, emotions, environment, etc.  I also think that there are decisions that get relegated to random selection within our brain.  If we are faced with a decision that really doesn't matter (as far as we know), then why spend the energy and effort to decide?  Flip a coin. 

             I have said elsewhere that designing a scientific experiment to demonstrate free will is very difficult and I hope this analogy helps you see why.  Particularly in relation to the "thorny handles", it is very hard to really put human beings into an experiment where they will, in fact, exercise their true free will.  Asking people to decide whether a number is high or low, or whether a color matches the word, or even whether a hypothetical moral decision is right or wrong, is just never going to be worth the cost of grabbing those thorny handles.  The human subject in those experiments is fully aware that the situation is not important.  Why engage free will?  Let the horse do what it will.  Let the horse react.  Maybe engage the random number generator.  Thus, free will is not exercised.  To design an experiment that really forces human beings to engage their free will would require, at the very least, significant deception regarding the fact that they are part of a scientific study.  Ethically, such experiments are generally not acceptable even if it were possible to design them.

             I hope you will find this analogy helpful as we go through a more detailed discussion of the soul.  Think about it in your own personal experience.  I'm sure you have freely chosen to do things that you didn't want to do.  That statement is such a total contradiction that it makes no sense, yet it is somehow true!  I hope the analogy helps you see how such a statement can be illogical yet true. 

             Finally, I think I should clarify that the "self " should be considered to be the entire horse, jockey, and reins conglomerate.  It is a mistake, I believe, to say that the "true me" is just the jockey.  It's also a mistake to say that the true me is just the horse.  In this analogy, "we" are the whole package.  We are responsible for the decisions made by the entire conglomerate.  And, therefore, the struggle is real!  I really like how the Apostle Paul expressed it:  "I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do...For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do-- this I keep on doing."   [Rom 7:15, 19]



[1] Note that this is not the same as Plato's Chariot Allegory, although that allegory also deals with how we make decisions and the difficulty in doing so.  This also is not the same as Freud's horse and rider analogy.  I might need to explain this further, but suffice it to say that, in my analogy, the horse has all the features of a real horse.  It responds to inputs and makes decisions.  In Plato, and then Freud, the analogies only use certain features of a horse (strength and power, for example).


No comments:

Post a Comment