Featured Post

Table of Contents

Click the on "Table of Contents" link above to navigate the thoughts of KLK. - Click on links below to access whole threads or...

Sunday, December 6, 2015

Free Will #7 - Why is it so difficult to experimentally prove or disprove free will?

          I’ve heard and read a lot about the “evidence” that free will is just an illusion.  Sometimes that evidence comes from experiments such as the one I addressed in my previous post on this topic.  Sometimes that evidence comes from observations.  For example, I just listened to something from Sam Harris (one of my least favorite authors!) where he tried to make the point that our thoughts just come to us and it’s not like we freely decided to have those thoughts.  So, therefore, free will is just an illusion that we make up after the fact.

          As you may imagine if you’ve read other posts from me, I don’t agree that such evidence proves the case against free will.  The problem I see with all of these arguments is that the people making these arguments, or the people doing the experiments, pick the wrong kind of tasks.  They do not pick tasks that require free will; rather, they pick tasks that require decisions.  To me, a decision is not the same as exercising free will.  I will try to explain that here.

          I would describe a decision as something that happens to us constantly because we are alive.  Decisions can be fairly complex, can be incredibly simple, or can even be subconscious.  Do I get up or lay back down?  Do I go left or right?  Do I hold my breath until I turn blue?  Do I spell “tomorrow” with one “m” or two?  Should I super-size it?  Should I keep thinking up examples or should I stop?  What card should I pick from the magician’s deck?  Etc. etc. etc.

          In my view, free will is not a critical component of the vast majority of the kind of daily decisions we are constantly bombarded with.  That’s what makes it so hard to test. 

          Recall that I’ve defined free will with respect to human beings being responsible for their own actions.  This is critical.  We do not hold dogs or monkeys or even cows[1] to be morally responsible for the decisions they make.  Therefore, I say, those animals do not have free will.  Despite their lack of free will, it certainly seems that those animals have to constantly make decisions as well.  Do I get up or lay back down?  Do I go left or right?  Do I chew on this bone or chew on the couch?  Do I drink water from this bowl or from the toilet?  Dogs do not make moral decisions involving free will, but, as living things, they have to make decisions all the time.  Constantly.

          As a first pass, I would suggest that free will is only involved in those decisions that have a moral outcome.  If the result of the decision could be called morally wrong or morally right, then it is at least a candidate for free will.  I’m not sure every moral decision involves the free will either, but it’s a good starting point.  Someone with a Christian view would say these types of decisions result in either a “virtue” or a “sin”.  I don’t even know if there is always a clear demarcation between a decision that is just done as part of life, versus a decision that has moral implications.  For example, speeding down the highway may be illegal but not necessarily immoral, and the act of speeding can become so rote that it does not involve a moral decision at all (and maybe never did for most of us[2]).  To be honest, I don’t know where to draw the line between what I would call a “rote decision” and what I would call a “moral decision”, and that could be a problem with my line of thinking here.  But I also don’t think that free will comes into play as an “all or none” proposition.  I can imagine that there is a continuum of moral decisions where free will is more or less active in the decision-making process.

          Is free will testable?  Well, going back to the design of experiments, I think it is very difficult to come up with a decision that, without question, requires an exertion of the will.  I do not consider a contrived “moral dilemma” to necessarily require the use of free will, because it is contrived.  Sometimes people are tricked into what they think is a real moral dilemma – like that TV show “What Would You Do?” – but it would be pretty hard to get human studies approval to put people in those situations!  Plus, a lot of those types of situations involve requiring the person to make a quick response, and I’m not sure a “reaction” typically requires free will either.  Or, think of it this way:  is there any kind of moral decision you could make “on command” in an MRI machine for which you could be later convicted of and jailed? 

          Even if you could figure out a good moral dilemma for testing, what would you measure?  As I’ve stated before, the will is a “weak force”.  The overwhelming activity in your brain for any given decision, even a moral decision, would still be the rote learned reactions.  To pick out the bit of neural activity influenced by free will from this torrent of ongoing rote activity would be nearly, if not completely, impossible.  If there really was only one neuron in the whole brain that was influenced by the will in a given moral decision, how would you possibly find it?  And if you did find it, how would you know you found it?  How would you be able to identify the response of that neuron as being distinct from just a random signal?  I don’t think it can ever be done – either now or in the future.

          My main point in this entry is just this:  whether free will is real or not is still very much an open issue.  It has not been debunked as some might claim, and it’s not going to be debunked any time soon.  We may someday have flying cars and cloaks of invisibility, but I don’t believe we’ll ever have a definitive materialistic explanation of free will.  It will remain elusive…and utterly fascinating!





[1] Well, maybe Gary Larsen does, but not anyone else!
[2] Unless you read Jerry Bridges’ book “The Pursuit of Holiness”, in which case speeding suddenly became a moral issue…for a while.

1 comment:

  1. Could the question "what is the meaning/purpose of life show free will?"

    ReplyDelete