Featured Post

Table of Contents

Click the on "Table of Contents" link above to navigate the thoughts of KLK. - Click on links below to access whole threads or...

Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Free Will #5 – The “Decision Neuron”

          In my previous entry on the topic of free will, I ended by saying that free will happens at the level of the neuron.  It’s probably more correct to say that free will should be apparent at the level of the neuron.  Anyway, that statement is surely worth further consideration.

          First, let me acknowledge a statement I made that I don’t think I can prove.  I said that “there is no thinking without neurons firing.”  I make that statement because I don’t know of any alternative hypothesis and there is no other physiological candidate for thought.  Therefore, I think it is a pretty good assumption, but I would be open to other alternatives.

          Second, what I want to consider here are the implications of free will with respect to the neuron.  The implications are important to someone like me, because I believe there is more to a person than material stuff.  I believe every human has a mind/soul/spirit[1] that is the ultimate source of decision-making, moral responsibility, and probably even consciousness and imagination.  But my belief – assertion even – has very important implications when it comes to physiology and I’ve never heard anyone address the issue.  So, I’m about to dive right in.

          As I have stated before, I think that free will is real and not just a figment of our imagination.  For the purposes of discussion, I use the term “mind” to refer to that entity where decisions involving free will are made (or at least initiated).  How does that happen?  Let’s start with an example.  I know I previously used the example of moving your hand to the left or right, but, to be honest, that’s a pretty lame example.  I’m not sure that kind of “decision” even requires a will of any sort.  Let’s use a more human example:  you go to an ATM outside a bank to withdraw money.  You type in a withdrawal of $60 and you hear the machine clunking as it counts out the $20 bills and you hear a lot more clunks than there should be.  When the drawer opens there is over $200 in there!  You take the money, complete the transaction and look at your receipt.  It states plainly that you withdrew only $60.  Bank error in your favor – collect $140!  This really happened to me – it happened to me back when I was a very poor graduate student.  In fact, it happened about two months after I ran out of money at the end of my first month in Cleveland and had to live on lemonade crystals for a few days before the next paycheck.  So, what do you do with the money?  Keep it?  Give it back to the back?  Leave it in the drawer?  This is a decision of the will.  This involves your mind.  Your character.  This is uniquely human, isn’t it?  I mean, what would a cow do in this situation?[2]

          For our purposes, we are not concerned with what is right or wrong here.  What I want to do is consider how a decision is made and carried out.  Let’s boil it down to an action.  When you pull out of the ATM spot after collecting the money, you can either turn right and into a parking spot so you can go into the bank, or you can turn left and on to the street to go on to whatever is next in your day.  How do you physically make that happen?  Well, your arms move across the steering wheel in either a clockwise or counterclockwise direction.  How does that happen from a physiological standpoint?  Neurons fire in your brain to direct other neurons to fire the muscles in your arms in the correct coordinated pattern.  It is quite complex, and involves the sensations your hands and arms feel from the steering wheel.  Some of the movement is modified in your spinal cord and in your cerebellum and, for the most part, you are not really conscious of all of those details.  Most of that movement is orchestrated by motor pattern generators in the brain – neurons that store information about the millions of times you’ve made that same motion before.  You push the button for “steering wheel motor pattern turn left” and the program runs without much conscious effort on your part, unless you decide to alter the pattern midstream.

          The point is, lots of neurons fire to make that action happen.  But notice the phrase “you push the button.”  Who pushes the button?  Somewhere in the brain, a decision has to be made to initiate either the left turning or right turning motor pattern.  I do not know whether that “decision signal” resides in a single neuron or in a network of neurons, but I do know this:  ultimately the decision has to be encoded in neuronal firing because that is the only way that the signal can be communicated to the motor pattern to your brain and eventually to the muscles in your arms. 

          My assertion is that the decision as to whether to go back into the bank or drive away is made by your will.  I say further that your “will” is “free” in the sense that it is ultimately up to the unique “you”.  You are responsible for the decision.  Lots of things factor into that decision, such as how poor you are at the moment and so on, but that does not change the fact that it is a decision nonetheless.  We can assign a moral value to your decision because it is truly a decision.  It is not random and it is not inevitable.

          What it all means from a physiological standpoint is that there must be at least one neuron in your brain that is influenced by your will (your mind).  As we have established before, neurons respond to the various inputs they get in one of two ways:  they either fire an action potential or they do nothing.  Let’s say in your brain that there is one neuron whose output initiates the “left turning motor pattern” and another neuron that initiates the “right turning motor pattern”.  These two neurons are mutually inhibitory, which means that when one fires, the other is inhibited.  This keeps your arms from fighting against each other and causing you not to be able to turn either way, and so you would drive straight ahead into the curb (you could kind of see how that might happen in this case, as you struggled to make a decision).  These two neurons have many different inputs from other neurons in the brain.  But when it comes right down to it, the tendency of one neuron to fire is enhanced by your will and the tendency of the other neuron to fire is not-enhanced by your will.  The decision is encoded in the two neurons.  It has to be.

          If you could zoom down onto those two single neurons and measure the inputs to each neuron, you would find that the firing of at least one of those neurons is not directly related only to its inputs.  The same set of inputs, given over and over again to that neuron, produces different results, and those results are not random.  This can only happen if there is another input to the neuron – an input that you can’t measure.  That “other” input is the mind.  At least that’s what belief in a mind comes down to. 

          In summary, our decisions are ultimately encoded in the neuron.  So, the connection between the material (physical body) and non-material (mind) has to occur in the neuron.  That’s why I called the neuron the “center” of the universe.

          I know my assertion is hard to accept at first.  For those who subscribe to a purely material universe, you laugh and say “I’m glad I don’t have to accept that idea.”  Instead, you are happier accepting the premise that free will is a figment of our imagination.  I can’t do that – I can’t accept that the most compelling thing that I observe in myself at every moment of every day – that sense that I can decide things – is a figment of my imagination.  For those who, like me, subscribe to some concept of a “mind” or “will” or “soul” or “spirit”…you probably haven’t thought much about the practical implications at the physiological level, so you’re probably saying “hmmm – that seems a bit crazy.”

          I will stop here for the moment, but I want to make two final statements that will be the topics of future entries.  First, note that in the scenario I’ve put forth, the mind is not the only thing that influences a particular neuron – it’s just one of many influences.  As a result, most of what we do – even our “decisions” – don’t require the will or are hardly influenced by the will.  Things we have done in the past, our environment, etc. etc. all have strong influences on neurons because these things are all stored or sensed by other neurons.  If anything, the will is a “weak force”.  This has a lot of implications when we observe human behavior.  Second, it would seem that my hypothesis should be testable since we have the technology to record signals from single neurons.  In the future I’ll talk about why such a test would be really really really difficult to do, if not impossible.

          OK – you can return to your originally scheduled thoughts!  Let those neurons fire away!

          P.S.  Oh – to complete the story – yes, I did take the money back to the bank.  The teller looked at me like I was an alien!



[1] For now, I am lumping these terms together to represent one concept.  Specifically, they represent the concept that there is something non-material that is part of every human being.  It’s easier, for the moment, to just use the term “mind”, but I’m sure I will have to come back to this topic at some later date.
[2] Well, I know for a fact that cows can’t count, so they would have no clue they got extra money.

No comments:

Post a Comment