Featured Post

Table of Contents

Click the on "Table of Contents" link above to navigate the thoughts of KLK. - Click on links below to access whole threads or...

Tuesday, November 24, 2015

My Favorite Quotes - Entry #3

 “If we submit everything to reason, our religion will have no mysterious and supernatural element. If we offend the principles of reason, our religion will be absurd and ridiculous.”
Blaise Pascal, Pensées, 1669

          I thought I would pick a quote from the book I just recommended – Pascal’s Pensées.  Blaise Pascal lived in the 17th century (1623 – 1662) and was a French mathematician, physicist, inventor, writer and philosopher.  The quote above is one of many from his book that I could have picked, and I’m sure there will be more from this book in the future.

          I’ve had friends who would say “make sure you don’t check your brains at the door” when you enter a church.  They were making the point that you should use your brain when it comes to your beliefs.  They didn’t want to be swayed by some fast-talking or manipulative preacher.  I agree with them and I’ve always felt that it was important to keep your mind and reasoning abilities as a Christian.  I never wanted to be tricked or hood-winked into believing something that wasn’t true.  When someone sends me a story on the internet, I immediately check it on Snopes.  Then I try to check up on Snopes to see if they can be trusted.  Then, if it passes all of those tests, I put it in the bin marked “probably not true” – that’s the best I’ll give it.  So I agree:  to have faith doesn’t mean that you dump out your brains.  Believe only what is reasonable. 

          But the great thing about Pascal’s statement is the recognition that there are two sides to this issue.  I believe that Christianity is reasonable, but that does not mean that “reason” is the whole sum of my beliefs.  If your beliefs are against reason, then they are “absurd and ridiculous” as Pascal states.  But the balance to this is that there are some aspects of faith that go beyond reason.  They are supernatural.  If absolutely everything you believe is totally explained by reason, then what does God do?  Why do you even need God in that case?[1]

          You can’t prove Christianity through reason alone.  The best you can hope to do is show that it is reasonable.   I do believe you can show that it is reasonable.  However, having done that, it doesn’t get you to the true meaning of Christianity.  You have to go beyond where reason alone can take you.  Don’t give up on reason.  Follow it as far as you can.  But just don’t stop there.  [By the way, if you want to see where I go with that, check out the #1 Crazy Thing Christians Believe.]

Miracles fit perfectly into this kind of thinking.  A miracle is not “reasonable”, necessarily, but it is also not unreasonable.  I think Paul shows an excellent combination of reason and miracle when he says that Christ’s resurrection is the central point of Christian faith, and if Christ has not been raised from the dead, then faith in Christ is “in vain” (I Cor 15).  There is a logical aspect to this belief.  The historical aspects of Christ’s resurrection can be subjected to reason.  The centrality of Christ’s resurrection to Christianity can be subjected to reason.  But the resurrection itself is a miracle.  It is beyond reason.  You can’t sit in the corner of a room and reason your way to the resurrection.  It has to be revealed to you.

Don’t believe anything that offends reason.  That’s not smart.  But don’t confine your beliefs to reason alone.  That is dry and boring.  There’s more to life than that.  Not everything can be explained by science.  Music and art are not arrived at through reason alone.  There is a beauty to nature that is surely beyond reason.  Human emotions are surely real, and just as surely they are not always based on reason!  Allow yourself the opportunity to wonder and marvel.

I know that many will say “you don’t have to bring in the supernatural to experience wonder and awe at nature.”  That is true, and there are plenty of examples to support that.  All I am suggesting is that we not require of the supernatural something that we do not require of the natural:  that it must all bow to reason, and reason alone.  If the supernatural is there, do not miss the opportunity to experience it because you artificially confined it to a box that it can never fit in. 






[1] Some of course will say “exactly – why do you need God?”  But this particular quote from Pascal is written to those who already have a belief in God.  There will be more to come from Pascal for those who have already put belief aside.

No comments:

Post a Comment