Featured Post

Table of Contents

Click the on "Table of Contents" link above to navigate the thoughts of KLK. - Click on links below to access whole threads or...

Friday, July 10, 2020

Scriptural View of the Body, Soul and Spirit

             This entry, and the related entries to follow on this topic (see links below), are part of a personal Bible study I did on the topic of the concept of body, soul, and spirit.  As a Christian and medical researcher, I feel that it is important to understand what scripture says, and doesn't say, about topics I am likely to encounter in my professional and personal life.  I need to know what principles are clearly laid out in scripture.  I have personally decided that science does not supersede scripture - that is part of my fundamental beliefs - but I also know that frequently Christians start arguing against science over things that are not clear in scripture.  So...I needed to know where the boundaries were, based on as thorough a study of scripture as I could muster.  Having gone through it now, it seemed that it might be helpful to other Christians in a similar situation.  So, this is just my personal study and notes, summarized in a hopefully helpful way.

             As word of caution:  this and the related entries are written purely from a Christian perspective and I haven't made any attempt to be more broadly inclusive.  If you don't happen to believe that the Bible is true, or that it should be used as the basis of determining truth, then this whole series won't make sense to you.  If that is your situation, I really wouldn't bother reading this series.  You might find my series on "Theory of the Soul" more palatable.  But, if you do believe the Bible is the Word of God, then maybe this series of entries will be helpful in guiding you in your own study so you can come to your own conclusions.

             I began this study with the goal of trying to understand the proper spiritual view of terms like “soul” and “spirit” in order to help me to know how to view neuroscience discoveries about the workings of the brain.  There are certain “discoveries” – or rather interpretations of data – that seemed contrary to a proper Christian view.  For example, there is a body of work in which experimenters try to show that “free will” is a misconception.  Rather, they claim, the material brain’s decisions are already made before we are even aware of it.  I believe this work is very misguided and flawed [see here], but should I view it as an affront to basic Christian beliefs, or just bad science?  Even more deeply baked into much of neuroscience is the idea of the completely materialistic brain and materialistic human.  Words such as "soul" and "spirit" have no meaning in their view, and their scientific interpretation is based on that.  That’s ok – science kind of has to be materialistic – but I wanted to be sure I knew the boundaries of plain Christian (i.e. scriptural) views on these topics.

             I was taught, when I was a younger Christian, that the proper Christian view was the idea of “body-soul-spirit” in three concentric rings, and that each person had a body, a soul, and a spirit.  Also, the soul was divided into “mind, will, emotions.”  I had kind of taken that whole concept for granted, but I was recently wondering whether this was really scriptural or just an abstraction of scripture or just Greek thought imposed on scripture.  So…I began studying the Greek words in the New Testament that had to do with body, soul, spirit. 

             Methods:  I read and studied every verse that had at least one of the following Greek words in them:

Soma

Sarx

Psuche

Pneuma

Kardia

Phroneo

Phronema

Sunesis

Dianoia

Zoe

Zoopoieo

Thanatos

Nekros

             I went through verse by verse and made notes, with a focus on the general topic at hand.  I tried to note how each particular word was used and the relationship between different words.  That took me about a year and a half to do.  Then after I had a whole series of fairly random notes, I wanted to have some way of coalescing them into some kind of useful summary.  So, in an effort to do that, I established a series of questions on the topic, and then tried to answer those questions based on what I found in my study.  The questions I came up with are listed below.  If you click on them, it will take you to the entry on that topic (once I get them all written up!).

             As a practical bookkeeping note, when I am writing a Greek word in my notes, I put it in the arrow brackets ("<>").  That's just my personal style and has no deeper meaning.

             Again, this is just my personal, plain reading of scripture.  Also, as you might note, I haven't gone through the Hebrew in the Old Testament yet.  That will take a long time to do...not sure if I will ever get to that!

1.  Do you have to believe that there is a spiritual part of human beings (i.e. a nonmaterial soul/spirit) in order to be a Christian?

2.  Is it necessary for Christians to believe that the spiritual world interacts with the physical world in a very personal, individual level?

3.  Do human beings have a soul and a spirit, and are they different?

4.  Is the human “spirit” the same as the “Holy Spirit”?

5.  Is the “body” the same as the “soul”?

6.  When the Bible uses the term “body”, does that only refer to our physical, material, body?

7.  Are the “mind, will, emotions” part of the soul?  Are they materialistic things or spiritual things?

8.  Can the body die?  Can the soul die?

9.  Are human beings alive because their soul is in their body, and when their soul departs their body, then they are dead?

10.  Christians get a new body, but do they get a new soul?

11.  When Jesus was resurrected, was it the same body that he had when he was crucified?  Was it the exact same molecules?  If he had a new body, why was his old body gone?

12.  Does conversion happen to/in the body or soul or spirit?

13.  Does the flesh change at conversion?

14.  Who sins?  Is it my body?  My soul?  My spirit?

15.  Is the "total depravity" of Calvinism in reference to the <sarx> alone?  Is the <psuche-pneuma> totally depraved?

16.  Can you really have "good intentions" but do the wrong thing?  Is that any different than having "bad intensions" and doing the wrong thing?  If you had "good intentions" then why did you do the wrong thing?  Can the <sarx> overrule the <psuche-pneuma>?

17.  Is the concept of "tabula rasa" consistent with Scripture?

18.  What is the point of bodily discipline, habits, and spiritual disciplines?

19.  Do animals have souls?  Spirits?

Also - some "non-scriptural" questions...

20.  What would it take for science to verify the existence of the human soul?

21.  What would it take for science to verify the existence of the Holy Spirit?


No comments:

Post a Comment